English as an Additional Language (EAL) in the Primary School
CIS has one EAL teacher per grade level in the Primary School (K-5).
The EAL Program in the Primary School
- Pull-Out lessons which are mostly for students at the beginner and intermediate proficiency levels.
- Pull-Out lessons that are connected to their grade-level Units of Inquiry and other content areas.
- Pull-Out lessons that build upon their background knowledge which reinforces, supports and extends the classroom work.
- Their instruction from the classroom teacher along with their peers for most of the school day.
- Small group lessons with the EAL teacher to target specific English language needs.
In-Class Collaborative Model:
- EAL students learn alongside their classroom peers.
- EAL and classroom teachers regularly plan, team-teach and evaluate lessons for all students.
- Teaching focuses on all aspects of language learning and making curriculum content comprehensible for all students.